I am interested in using bioinformatic and systems biology approaches to understand how the mammalian genome works:
- How much variability at the genetic level is there between individuals, and how does it affect our phenotype and propensity to disease?
- What layers of regulation determine which genes are expressed, to generate which transcripts, and what roles can non-coding RNA (especially lncRNA) play in the cell?
- What molecular mechanisms underpin differentiation and the function of the adult nervous system?
- What are the roles of RNA editing, how widespread is it, and how can we accurately use HTS to elucidate the extent of editing in various tissues, and in response to stimuli?
- What are repeat elements doing in our genome?